Skip to content
Home > Patient & Visitor FAQs > Treatment and Services

Treatment and Services

Information on services to use during regular hours, at night or weekends

FAQs relating to using NHS services

What if I need to see a doctor when my GP surgery is closed?

When you, or someone you care for is unwell and you feel it can’t wait until your GP surgery re-opens, call NHS 24 on 111.

Where can I get a prescription or emergency medication when my nearest is closed?

Some pharmacies remain open during seasonal and public holidays, so you can get your prescription or emergency medication, or medical supplies. You can get further information on our Pharmacy page or via the link below.

When should I go to a minor injuries unit?

Minor Injuries Units treat adults and children aged five and over for a range of minor injuries. An injury is damage caused to the body by something physical (for example following a fall).

Opening hours

The New Stobhill HospitalNew Victoria Hospital and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital units are open 9.00am to 9.00pm every day of the year. The Vale of Leven Hospital MIU is open 8.00am – 9.00pm every day of the year.

For information on where to go with babies and young children, visit our MIU page.

The MIU will not treat illnesses.

How can I see a dentist at nights and weekends?

Emergency out of hours treatment is available through a referral from NHS 24 on 111. Out of hours dental treatment is a limited service, so check before making your journey. 

A Dental Nurse will take your call. If they assess that you are an emergency case and cannot wait until your dentist opens, they may give you an appointment to attend our out of hours service at the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School in Sauchiehall Street.

How can I find an NHS dentist?

If you want NHS dental treatment, you will first need to find out which dentists in your area provide NHS treatment, and then find one who is prepared to accept you as an NHS patient.

Some dentists do not provide NHS treatment, or only provide treatment to certain groups of people, for example children, or people getting benefits or tax credits.

Dentists do not have to take you on as an NHS patient, even if they provide NHS treatment. If this happens you can approach another dental surgery.

To find a list of dentists who do NHS work in your area, phone the NHS dental advice line on 0141 427 8235.

Who do I contact if I am seriously concerned about my mental health or that of someone else?

During office hours 

If you have concerns about your mental health you should contact your GP in the first instance. They will be able to help and if necessary refer you to appropriate mental health services.

At night or weekends 

You should call NHS 24 on 111. They will be able to help and if necessary will refer you to appropriate out of hours mental health services.

Can I use a mobile phone in hospital?

Use within designated areas

Patients and visitors to NHSGGC hospitals are able to use mobile phones in designated areas.   Areas where you can use your mobile are clearly marked but if you are unsure, please check with a member of staff. Patients can use mobile phones in:

  • Main entrances and all corridors and offices external to ward areas
  • Catering and dining rooms areas
  • Administration areas and offices.

Restricted use

All mobile phones should continue to be turned off in areas where it is signposted that their use is restricted.

There are restrictions regarding the use of camera phones, many of which also have voice and video recording facilities. Camera phones should not be used to photograph or record any patients in any of our healthcare premises without permission.

How do I arrange patient transport to a hospital appointment?

Patient Transport (managed by the Scottish Ambulance Service) is provided to patients who meet certain criteria, such as personal mobility problems. Patients can call 0300 123 1236 to be assessed and book transport.