Right Care, Right Place

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde is here for you all year round, but it’s important that you get the right care, in the right place, at the right time. If you are unsure who to turn to please view the following information about the relevant services available to you, which range from self-care through to when to visit a hospital Emergency Department.

NHSGGC has moved to the Right Care, Right Place model for all emergency care, which means your experience of emergency care maybe slightly different than before the pandemic. The new model is here to ensure patients access the most appropriate care quickly and safely and will help protect our Emergency Departments (ED) so they can look after those patients with life-threatening conditions.

If your condition is life threatening, you should always call 999 or go straight to ED.  If it’s an emergency, and you need access to urgent care, but it’s not life threatening, you should always first phone NHS 24 on 111, or, speak to your local GP before attending ED.

The information below will help you decide where best to visit or contact.

Choose the right option for your condition

Self care and NHS Inform

For a speedy recovery, self care is the best option when you have a minor illness or injury. A well-stocked medicine cabinet means you’ll receive the right treatment immediately. Visit NHS inform for advice when you’re feeling unwell: www.nhsinform.scot
Find out more

When to contact an Optometrist (Eyes)

If you have a problem with your eyes, your high street optician will have an optometrist who can help. If you have scratched your eye or have something stuck in your eye, you should attend your nearest MIU.
Find out more

When to visit the Emergency Department (A&E)

The Emergency Department is for serious accidents or serious emergencies such as strokes, heart attacks or serious head injuries. If you think it is life threatening you can also call 999.
Find out more

Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Services

The service provides assessment and intervention in emergency situations to relieve acute risk. We deal with referrals which are too urgent to wait for Social Work Service offices to re-open.
Find out more

When to visit your Pharmacist

Your Pharmacist can help with many common health issues such as coughs, colds, sore throats and stomach upsets etc. There is no need to make an appointment.
Find out more

When to visit your dentist

Visit your Dentist for regular check ups, planned routine treatment and emergency care. Advice and information is also available by calling the Dental Advice Helpline on 0141 201 4209.
Find out more

When to call 999

999 is only for serious illnesses or injuries. This may include a suspected stroke or heart attack or a serious injury or sudden, serious illness.
Find out more

When to contact your GP

When you have an illness or injury that won’t go away, make an appointment to see your General Practitioner (GP). If your condition really can’t wait until your surgery re-opens, contact NHS 24 on 111.
Find out more

Who to contact for issues with Mental Health

For mental health problems contact your GP. Your GP can make a referral to your local Community Mental Health Service. If you need support when your GP surgery is closed, call NHS 24 on 111.
Find out more

Who to contact about sexual health

The Sandyford provides advice and support on birth control, sexual health, reproduction and emotional health.
Find out more

When to call NHS 24

For immediate advice when your GP surgery or Dental Practice is closed and you’re too ill to wait until it re-opens call NHS 24 on 111.
Find out more

When to visit the Minor Injuries Unit (MIU)

For urgent care of minor injuries such as cuts (including ones that need stitches), bites, broken bones, sprains, minor burns and scalds and minor eye problems, go to your local MIU.
Find out more

Where to get help for addictions

You can either self-refer direct to local specialist teams or contact your GP. Crisis services are available at the Glasgow Drug Crisis Centre or there are various voluntary organisations operating in your local area.
Find out more