Skip to content
Home > Your Health > Right Care, Right Place > Accident & Emergency

Accident & Emergency

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has moved to the Right Care, Right Place model for all emergency care, which means your experience of emergency care may be slightly different than before the pandemic.

The new model is there to ensure patients access the most appropriate care quickly and safely and will help protect the Accident & Emergency Departments (A&E) so they can look after those patients with life-threatening conditions, such as strokes, heart attacks, head injuries, breathing difficulties, or severe bleeding.

When should you visit A&E?

A&E is there to deal with genuine life-threatening emergencies. It is for serious accidents or serious emergencies such as strokes, heart attacks, head injuries, breathing difficulties, or severe bleeding.

If you come to A&E and it is not the best place for you to be treated, you may be redirected by staff towards the correct service for your needs. This could include a Minor Injuries Unit, a pharmacy, or your local GP. For more information please call NHS 24 on 111.

What should you do in an emergency?

If your condition is life-threatening, you should call 999 or go straight to A&E.

If it’s an emergency, and you need access to urgent care, but it’s not life-threatening, you should always first phone NHS 24 on 111, or, speak to your local GP before attending A&E.

NHS 24 or your GP will be able to provide you with the correct advice and treatment or refer you directly to the most appropriate service for your needs.

If you are referred to A&E by your GP or by NHS 24 you may be given time to attend.

If your child needs emergency care, know where to go

Wherever you live in the NHSGGC area, babies of 0-12 months should be taken to the Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow.

Children over 1 year with a medical emergency or serious injury can go to The Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the RAH in Paisley or Inverclyde Royal Hospital.

Major Emergency

If a child is seriously injured or becomes so unwell that you think it is an emergency you should dial 999 straight away. The Scottish Ambulance Service will usually take your child to the Royal Hospital for Children. Sometimes they may deem it more appropriate to go to a closer A&E.

About our A&Es

We have five A&Es that are always open to treat patients who have a serious injury or medical emergency.They are at:

  • Queen Elizabeth University Hospital
  • Royal Hospital for Children
  • Glasgow Royal Infirmary
  • Royal Alexandra Hospital (RAH) in Paisley
  • Inverclyde Royal Hospital in Greenock.

Other services may be able to give you the treatment you need

For non-emergencies, there are Minor Injury Units (MIUs), GP services, NHS 24 on 111, and your pharmacy. If you are unsure which service is best for you, Call NHS 24 on 111.

Always call NHS 24 on 111 first to ensure you get the right care, right place, right time.