Skip to content
Home > Your Health > Heads Up – Mental Health Support > Urgent help

Urgent help


If you, or someone you know, need an immediate response call the emergency services on 999.

Confused or distressed

If you are experiencing confusing or distressing thoughts, or if people around you have expressed concern about your well being, arrange an appointment with your GP or call NHS 24 on 111.

If you, or someone you know, are currently being seen by someone from a community mental health team and require urgent attention, please contact the Out of Hours Team by the number you will have been provided with.


If you just need to talk with someone, then the following organisations are here to help:

Please note: if you go to an Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) because of worries about how you are feeling or what you are experiencing, they will be able to assess your difficulties and arrange for you to see a specialist if needed. But A&E is a busy and stressful place, and you may have to wait a long time. It can be quicker to phone NHS 24 on 111, as they can arrange for you to get to the right help.

Heads Up is not continuously monitored and is not able to provide direct advice or support to those in mental health distress.