The Mortuary provides comprehensive mortuary services for adults and children in NHSGGC including services for the Crown Office Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) and Police Scotland.
The Mortuary is located mainly on level 0 with some facilities also on level 1 of the Laboratory Medicine & Facilities Management Building at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.
- Mortuary Services provided on QEUH site include:
- Body store facilities for Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Campus and wider Health Board area, Police Scotland and Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS).
- Autopsy services for NHSGGC – all adult, paediatric and perinatal post mortems are undertaken within the facility.
- Paediatric and perinatal autopsies for other Scottish Health Boards.
- Paediatric Forensic autopsies undertaken on behalf of COPFS undertaken by NHSGGC Paediatric Pathologists.
- Adult Forensic autopsies undertaken on behalf of COPFS undertaken by visiting Forensic Pathologists from University of Glasgow, Department of Forensic Medicine.
The mortuary is staffed and open 24 hours/day, 365 days/year for the receipt of bodies from the QEUH Campus and on behalf of Police Scotland and COPFS
Viewings are by appointment only.
Normal working day (Mon-Fri) 8:30am – 4:30pm
Out of Hours (Saturday/ Public Holidays) 10:00am – 2:00pm
Service hours and contact information for on-site mortuary and satellite sites as follows:
|Mortuary Site||Hospital Address||Location Within Hospital||Contact||Working Hours|
|Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH)||1345 Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 4TF||Separate entrance at side of Laboratory Medicine Building||0141 354 9357 Eileen Docherty||Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm Out of Hours (Saturday/Public Holidays): 10:00am – 2:00pm|
|Royal Alexandra Hospital (RAH)||Corsebar Road, Paisley, PA2 9PN||When coming from Paisley town centre direction enter via the second hospital entrance (not the main one at car park and follow road to the end.||0141 314 6648 Stephen Docherty||Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm|
|Inverclyde Royal Hospital (IRH)||Larkfield Road, Greenock, PA16 0XN||Report to main hospital information desk||01475 504301 Jan Denny||Monday – Friday: 10:00am – 2:00pm|
|Glasgow Royal Infirmary (GRI)||84 Castle Street, Glasgow, G4 0SF||Enter hospital grounds at traffic lights via the small road between the hospital and Glasgow Cathedral. The mortuary door is located under the canopy.||0141 201 3186 Lynn Tervit||Monday – Friday: 08:30am – 4:30pm|
|Gartnavel General Hospital (GGH)||1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow, G12 0YN||Report to hospital admissions desk||Contact QEUH 0141 354 9357||Unmanned Site*|
|Vale of Leven (VoL)||Main Street, Alexandria G83 0UA||Enter hospital from Main Road Alexandria, stay on the internal road to the top of the hill and the mortuary is the first low building on the right||Contact QEUH 0141 354 9357||Unmanned Site*|
*Service hours for Vale of Leven Hospital and Gartnavel General Hospital Satellite sites:
A body receipt and release service is provided in conjunction with Facilities Management colleagues. Viewing can be accommodated on request by telephoning QEUH Mortuary on 0141 354 9357