Skip to content
Home > Staff and Recruitment > HR Connect > Occupational Health > Useful Resources and Frequently Asked Questions

Useful Resources and Frequently Asked Questions

I do not feel well, can I still attend for my vaccination?

Yes if you just have a mild infection e.g. a cold. Please do not attend if you feel very unwell, have a temperature or are being treated with any antibiotics. To change or cancel an appointment, please contact Occupational Health on 0141 201 0600.

What do I do if I have had a needlestick or similar injury?

You should carry out first aid immediately and report the injury to whoever is in charge of your clinical area. Further guidance is available at our Needlestick & Similar Injury page. All incidents should be reported to Occupational Health as soon as possible after they occur on 0141 201 0595.

Can I self-refer to Occupational Health?

Yes, you can self-refer for a number of services including advice, physiotherapy, counselling and the alcohol & substance  nurse clinic. Go to our Self-Referral & Counselling page for further information on what is available & how to arrange an appointment. Please note we do not provide written reports back to managers from these appointments.

Are counselling services available to employees?

Yes all employees can access free & confidential counselling from fully trained counsellors via the Occupational Health Service. To make an appointment call, 0141 201 0600.

Can I get physiotherapy?

There is an Occupational Health Physiotherapy service which employees can access by completing a self-referral form.  Priority will be given to those employees who are absent from work, those who have suffered a musculoskeletal injury whilst at work and those who are about to go off work. Further details on this service can be found on our Occupational Health Physiotherapy Service page.

What are Exposure Prone Procedures (EPP)?

Exposure Prone Procedures (EPP) include procedures where the health workers’ gloved hand may be in contact with sharp instruments, needle tips or sharp tissues inside a patients body cavity, wound or confined anatomical space where the hands or fingertips may be not be completely visible at all times. Taking bloods and inserting cannula’s are not EPP procedures

I have been referred by my manager, what does this involve?

Information on management referrals and what happens at these appointments can be found at our Management Referral site or by accessing our Management Referral Leaflet. 

How can I get a copy of my immunisation records?

You need to request this in writing, please send a letter with your full name, Date of Birth, Address and signature to: Occupational Health Service, 6th Floor, West Glasgow ACH, Dalnair Street, Glasgow, G3 8SJ. 

How can I access my records?

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde (NHSGGC) is a public organisation created in Scotland under section 1 of the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978 (the 1978 Act). It is one of the organisations which form part of NHS Scotland (NHSS).

NHSGGC is the data controller of the personal data it processes for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018 along with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner under Notification No Z8522787.

You have the right to access your own personal information.

This right includes making you aware of what information we hold along with the opportunity to satisfy you that we are using your information fairly and legally.

You have the right to obtain:

  • Confirmation that your personal information is being held or used by us
  • Access to your personal information
  • Additional information about how we use your personal information

Although we must provide this information free of charge, if your request is considered unfounded or excessive, or if you request the same information more than once, we may charge a reasonable fee.

If you would like to access your personal information, you can do this by contacting our administration team at

 GDPR and Access to Records information leaflet. 

Can Occupational Health fast track any treatment I require?

The Occupational Health Service is unable to fast track any NHS referral or fund any private referrals.

I think I need a car parking permit due to health reasons, how do I apply for one?

At present, the car parking permit on health grounds policy is under review and the Occupational Health Service is only able to issue supportive letters for permits on a 4 month basis. You need to complete an application form. Please contact the nursing team on 0141 201 0600 for further advice. 

I don’t think I can attend my appointment, what do I do?

Please contact our appointments line on 0141 201 0600 to make, change or cancel an appointment