Skip to content
Home > Hospitals & Services > Services A to Z > Dietetics


This webpage provides: 

  • Information about dietitians and how to access our clinical service 
  • Nutritional information and advice that can help people to manage their health condition
  • Useful information for staff and colleagues  

Who are we?

We are a team of dietitians, support workers and administrative staff. Our dietitians assess and treat nutritional and dietary issues in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals and health centres, across the health board area. The paediatric service also provide a Scotland wide service for inherited metabolic diseases and shared care to other areas. 

Dietitians are Allied Health Professionals registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) who specialise in the assessment and treatment of a wide range of dietary issues for individual people and the wider population. The term “dietitian” is legally protected; only people that are suitably trained and registered with the HCPC can use this title.

What do we do?

A Dietitian will assess your dietary intake and will work with you to develop and agree a treatment plan to help meet your goals in relation to your health concerns. Examples of the benefits of seeing a Dietitian are:

  • To reach or maintain a healthy weight
  • To resolve symptoms caused by food allergies and / or intolerances
  • To live healthily with a long-term condition, e.g. diabetes, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome, cancer, renal disease and weight management advice from the specialist weight management service.

Dietitians are experts in nutritional issues and can provide you with reliable advice to improve your health and/or manage your condition.

How do you access our service?

You can ask your General Practitioner (GP) or other health care professional to refer you to a dietitian. 

If you are under the care of a hospital consultant they, or a specialist nurse attached to the multi-disciplinary service, can also refer you to a dietitian. 

You may also find the pages ‘Nutrition Support’ useful 

Further information